Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'll be keeping my Blackberry

Wow, how things have changed when it comes time to phone home.

In 1977, I bummed a quarter, walked to the pay phone, called the operator with the borrowed quarter, reversed the charges and phoned home.

Today is a bit different.

I hear word across the family room that my recently off-to-college daughter is online on Facebook. This tells me she is in her dorm room and near communications gear. Important because I'm not part of her facebook network (see http://devriestechblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/facebook-effect.html for why).

So, I send her a short text message which gets a near immediate reply. The mouse has taken the cheese. I have a Blackberry which means I tend to send text messages longer than most emails. I reply with a good beefy message...and shortly the phone rings.

"hi peanut. Great to hear from you. Whats up?" said dad.

"Your text messages are too long. I had to call." replied daughter.

Game, set, match to dad!

In spite of the the great features on the iPhone, I'll be keeping my Backberry thank you very much.

1 comment:

Kunal said...

The iPhone is a great invention; especially appealing with the # of applications people are building for that platform. However, the keypad is really not nearly as convenient as a Blackberry. I agree with Mike - I will be keeping my blackberry for now...

The Google Android phone though is appealing and seems to solve the keyboard problem of the iPhone. I have seen a few demos and it does look good.